Facts for rural roadway funding:
- 20% of the population lives in rural areas
- 46% of roadway fatalities occur on rural roadways
- 39%of all rail/road crossing deaths occur in rural areas
- 80% of bridges closed to traffic due to structural issues are rural
- The cost of bring roads up to code in in the hundreds of billions.
With potential reductions in federal and state funding on the horizon, the solution for this is? ItOn is clear why people continue to move away from rural areas and into cities where health care, education, job opportunities and income levers are greater. It means we will continue to see the decline of rural communities and a lagging of the economic condition of rural citizens.