Financial Traps for local governments
Some recent reading led me to the following items that seem to crop up when municipalities have fiscal problems that are not otherwise created by the economy or federal or state government decisions:
Assuming high returns of retained earnings (Orange County, CA)
- Pension systems that are underfunded (Portland OR, and others)
- Lack of appropriate financial advisors (many)
- Assuming growth will be exponential
- Failure to address deterioration of infrastructure (many)
- Getting involved in complicated credit swaps and revenues tools involving borrowing (Detroit).
- Declining use by customers that are economically stressed (many)
Food for thought… or caution.